Monday, February 22, 2010

Liquid Gold


I have a major addiction to Diet Mountain Dew. I'm addicted to the flavor, the sound of the can clicking open like tap-dancers on the floors of heaven, the cold liquid running down my throat like a fresh spring, the jolt of energy I get after it merely touches my lips. It's pretty amazing. However, I have decided to give it up for Lent. This is a big sacrifice, and it has been a long time coming at that. Recap: Lent during Freshman year: Gave it up with success. Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years: Fail. Call it stress, call it lack of will power. Whatev. We have an unhealthy relationship. I realize that. Anyway, I'm going strong so far. And the bonus? It solves the "lack of sleep" pattern, as described in a previous post. Apparently 6 cans throughout the day (yes, past roommates: it's gotten that bad) has put my body in overload, and it forgot how to wind down. Who knew? So while I'm missing my liquid gold, my sweet sleep is pretty great.

5 comments:

adam and andrea said...

oh Emily - this cracked me up! I seriously have a love of Mt. Dew too...I'm like a teenage boy. Adam calls it my "sweet nectar". You're not alone!! : )

Tabitha said...

You are such a good writer. This was so funny. Good Luck with no "dew!"

Edwin and Chelsea said...

This is disgusting. 6 cans a day? Don't worry, I still love you. But because I love you, I have to say that I am thrilled you are giving this up... My dentist told me diet MD is the WORST soda for your teeth. I think I've told you that before... Ok I'm done judging :)

I bet Vienna drinks Diet Mt. Dew. Just saying.

Ceej and Em said...

Wow- what a mixture of support here. First of all, Chel, I would hate to do anything associated with Vienna. I threw up in my mouth when I read that. I've been going strong without the LG because I have a newly found obsession with french vanilla coffee. If it's not one thing, it's another. Oh, and MY dentist occasionally drinks LG. Not condoning the act, but I do trust him considering that we came from the same womb. Just sayin'.

Chelsea said...

well played. I love french vanilla coffee too, so I can't get on you for that... I have skinny vanilla latte creamer that I put in my coffee... deeeeeelish. hey btw, have I told you I'll be back March 31-April 5th? I think Meg might be back then too??!